Tuesday, February 24, 2015

READING RESPONSE 2


 "An Update on Transformational Learning" by Lisa Baumgartner


February 24, 2015

This article discusses four types of research done on Transformational Learning theory , with Jack Mezirow's being the most recent research of the four.  First and with the purpose of informing myself, I looked at who the author is and then I looked at one the subjects of her article, Jack Mezirow, the very proponent of the theory.

The author of the article, Dr. Lisa Baumgartner is a professor at the Northern Illinois University and she is a laureate of the Cyril O. Houle Award for Outstanding Literature in Adult Education for her Learning in Adulthood: A comprehensive guide book, whereas the late Jack Mezirow, the researcher whose Baumgartner talks about, was the pioneer of this Transformational learning theory.

Dr. Baumgartner briefly elaborates on the difference between Informational and Transformational learning.  The latter refers to the learning that adds to whatever learning repertoire the learner already possesses; while the former refers to learning that occurs either steadily or from a sudden or overwhelming experience.  The author gives a great example of a person who was diagnosed with HIV and how his learning about it made him changed his life goals altogether: he shifted from pursuing an acting career to that of helping others. I have also seen more palpable examples of Transformational.  For instance, when my father passed away, my mother had to relearn how to live without having to care for another person on a regular basis.

I took my mother's journey as being very transformative to the extent that we, her children, comment on it quite often.  whereas before taking care of her household and caring for my sick father were her main duties, now she has reinvented herself.  My mother has learned to allow others to take care of her more often although she is perfectly capable.

I could easily say that looking at the Transformational theory of learning is very easy from a layperson's viewpoint.  I could easily relate to it just by looking at life in general.  However, my issue with this article is finding a way to apply transformative learning in the classroom, as a teacher; not just any classroom but in a ELL's classroom.  Aside from guiding students by providing learning resources, lessons and materials, I see no other way in which I could apply this theory with English language learners.

Perhaps I could learn by example.  That is for instance, during a student-teacher conference.  That session could foster a Transformational learning setting. Nonetheless, who is to tell that when teachers share their own learning experiences with students during conferences, the students will in fact relate to those experiences.  That's just a thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment